The week between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is known as the Days of Awe.
During this time, you’re supposed to go around to all the people you’ve wronged in the past year and apologize, so that you can start the new year with a clean slate, and more importantly, be inscribed in God’s Book of Life.
I’m not perfect — far from it — so I have a lot of people to apologize to before Yom Kippur begins tomorrow night at sunset. On the off-chance that I don’t get to speak with you individually, know that I’m sorry for whatever I did.
I’ll be honest, though … I may have things to apologize for, but there’s also plenty I’m not sorry about. So with that in mind, here’s my second-annual list of the things I’m not apologizing for:
1. Watching The X Factor just because Britney Spears still looks damned good, and Demi Lovato is cute too
2. Giving up on the Red Sox in the earlier part of the season (we’re talking late April or May). I’m still a fan, but this team was a lost cause early on.
4. Enjoying Rock of Ages
5. Getting annoyed when people take too long to cross the street, even when they’re in the crosswalk
6. Sleeping until 9 a.m. most every day
7. Paying someone to clean my apartment this summer because I’m too lazy to keep it clean myself
8. Owning so much Roots gear. It’s a great brand and their stuff is so comfortable to wear.
11. Hiding people I find annoying on Facebook so I don’t ever see their updates
12. Taking my time to find the right next full-time job
13. Being a creature of habit, and doing things like eat lunch at Finagle a Bagel nearly every Saturday
14. Living out of my dryer instead of folding my clothes and putting them away
15. Tweeting so much
16. Thinking this “Gagnam Style” thing is completely annoying, and wishing Psy would just go away
17. Not liking my upstairs neighbor’s new dog, but hating her vacuum cleaner even more (no matter what time of day she uses it)
18. Being a Keith Olbermann fan and missing his daily commentary on TV during this election season
19. Wanting to eat the entire pint of 2nd Street Creamery’s Truck Stop Fudge every time I stick my spoon in one
20. Obsessing about grammar and spelling, and wishing more people did too
21. Weighing less now than I did at the beginning of the summer
Nope, I’m not going to apologize for any of that.
Anything you’re not apologizing for this year? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.