It’s Valentine’s Day again.
For many single people, that’s a source of much grumbling. But not for me.
In fact, I’ll be showing love to my favorite things all day long. That’s how I prefer to spend my Valentine’s Day: Eating the foods I love, spending time with people I love, doing things I love, going places I love, and so on. (Really, it’s just another way of loving the one I’m with.)
Every year, I compile a list of the people, places, and things I love. What’s on that list this year? Here’s your answer:
• Working again
• Date nights with my niece
• Jennifer Lawrence in that scene in American Hustle when she’s maniacally singing along to “Live and Let Die” while cleaning the house
• The homemade potato chips at Johnny’s Luncheonette
• Boston, even in the winter. It’s my home.
• Cookie Dough Pancakes at In a Pickle
• Listening to my nephews talk
• Jenny Dell, though I don’t love that I’ll be seeing less of her this baseball season
• That Jamie Cullum is touring the U.S. again this year, and I have tickets to see him when he comes to Boston
• The thought of seeing a bunch of my friends in Los Angeles this summer
• Senator Cory Booker, for fighting on behalf of all those who are still looking for work, and for being an active tweeter (who replies to me)
• Delicious, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies at work every day (two for $1.25)
• That somehow, I went down a pant size over the past year
• John Mayer’s two most recent albums
• People who have a positive attitude
• My new upstairs neighbor, who is much more normal than my previous one was
• Great photographers on Instagram, the kind who don’t clog up my stream with candids and reposts (@daleni01, for example. She took the photo that accompanies this post.)
• Snow days
• The message of the song “A Life That’s Good”
• Friday morning commutes (relative to other days, that is)
Suffice it to say, I have a lot of love to give. Today, I’m giving it to these people, places, things … and more.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Who and what are YOU showing love to today? Please share your thoughts in the comments field below.